Entertainment pops up in new and unusual places all over Perth and beyond during FRINGE WORLD, from major hip and happening Hubs to tucked away corners and secret spaces.
It looks like 2020 will have all of our familiar favourite Hubs and venues to catch the Fringe vibes, plus also a host ofnew and exciting places to experience the magic.
1. Awesome Hub hangs
- We love hanging out and soaking up the awesome summer vibes in The Woodside Pleasure Garden in Northbridge!
- This is where you will find the biggest program of the Festival – free and ticketed shows, day and night, for the young and young at heart. And in between shows and other entertainment, you can chill out under the trees with a bevvie.
- It is the biggest playground of all the Fringe Hubs – the perfect place to hang out and indulge in a range of eats, treats, drinks and shows.
- Don’t forget that there is plenty of fun to be had over at the other awesome Hubs – the Ice Cream Factory, Urban Orchard and Yagan Square and Girls School – you can’t have too much fun at Fringe!
2. No more teachers, no more books
- We never thought we would say this, but we can’t wait to go back to school!
- After giving us an unforgettable experience earlier this year with A Midnight Visit, the historic Girls School in East Perth is getting another Fringe makeover. There will a huge program and shows in 9 performance spaces within the building, exhibitions, installations and bites and bevvies.
- We hear there is even going to be a secret bar! Looks like we will be spending as much time at this hub as The Woodside Pleasure Garden!
3. Seas the day
- Remember when we said Fringe pops up in some new and unusual places? We weren’t lying – this year the fun hits the high seas in Fremantle for a FRINGE WORLD first.
- Book yourself and a loved one a much-deserved Fringe-themed staycation in 2020 with Fringe On The Water. Stay overnight on the Cruise and Maritime Voyages Vasco da Gama ship and enjoy a special highlight performance in the main theatre, roving circus and magic entertainers throughout the ship and live music and DJs. Then retreat to your stunning cabin for good night’s sleep.
- We still can’t even believe this is happening – what an opportunity!
4. City, ‘burbs and beyond
- In Northbridge, the historic, long dormant Rechabites Hall will finally re-open as a multi-level playground palace The Rechabite in time to host a slew of exciting shows, which we cannot wait to explore.
- The Blue Room Theatre has another stunning Summer Nights program, The Ellington Jazz Club is back on board as the hot spot for smooth tunes and fun times and there is comedy, cabaret and music aplenty at His Majesty’s Theatre with Ace’s at the Maj.
- The Downtown FairGround program at Rubix Bar and the Belgian Beer Café offers a mix of magic and variety while Paper Mountain returns to Fringe to bring unique works and live happenings by emerging artists.
- But there is even more Fringe fun happening out in the ‘burbs and beyond. Subiaco brings a mix of naughty and nice with its Subilicious line-up, take in stunning Scarborough sunsets during the Sunset Veranda program and head to Bassendean for the wonderful WonderRealm.
- You could even pop over the Swan River to South Perth for Southside Summer where there will be plenty of free and ticketed events.
- Fringe even hits the road to take the magic out to the WA regions as part of Outer Fringe. No corner of this state misses out on some Fringe fun!
Cover image by Cam Campbell